If you’re looking for a full day of activity in Sacramento with little physical distance between stops, look no further than the MARRS Building. MARRS, short for “Midtown Art, Retail, Restaurant Scene,” offers a full day’s worth of exploration.
- Breakfast: Pick up coffee and treats at Peet’s Coffee and Tea. If the weather’s nice, sit outside on the deck and watch the bustle of J Street as you pack in your sustenance for the day.
- Shop: Spruce up your wardrobe with some new jeans from Denim Spot or workout duds from Lululemon Athletica.
- Lunch: Enjoy a delicious sandwich from Mr. Pickle’s Sandwich Shop, and be sure to check the walls for art by a local artist. If you opt for a late lunch, happy hour begins at 4pm on weekdays and offers $10 pitchers, $3 drafts, and $2.25 PBRs.
- Sweat: Asha Yoga offers classes daily. Drop-in classes are usually $16 a pop, but weekdays at Noon bears a $8 community class. Never done yoga before? Be reassured at your ability to start by reading Asha’s Beginner’s Lesson. If you’re at MARRS on a Thursday evening, come in to Lululemon at 6pm for their Run Club (3-mile or 6-mile loop at a variety of paces), or on Saturdays at 10am for their free community yoga class, taught by rotating instructors.
- Happy Hour: Stop in at Azul Mexican Food & Tequila Bar for a refreshing margarita or draft beer during their happy hour, Mon-Fri 4pm-7pm. If you come on Tuesday you can enjoy $1.25 tacos and free chips and salsa as part of Taco Tuesday, 4pm-10pm.
- Dinner: Grab a slice or a whole pie at Luigi’s Slice & Fungarden, and perhaps stay for one of their all-ages music shows.
- Entertainment: End your day on a funny note with a show at Sacramento Comedy Spot. Shows are all ages, but should be thought of as a PG-13 or R rating.
Getting there: The MARRS Building spans the west side of the block of 20th Street between J and K Streets in Midtown Sacramento. 10-hour metered street parking is available on select blocks surrounding the building, as well as a 24-hour parking garage on 19th between J & K Streets.
Stay tuned: The newest tenant in the MARRS Building, LowBrau is set to open this month and will offer beers and brats in a beer-hall setting.